Friday, July 18, 2008

OK guys – Let me first start with an enormous apology for not being more on top of this blogging stuff. Until about mid-way through this past tour, I truly never thought being a musician was much of a “real job,” as they say. We get to perform in front of amazingly receptive people all over the country, we get to see all kinds of places across the country, we get to meet famous people, we get to record records in incredible studios, all in the name of doing something that we love.

But for all of those great things, there is indeed a “behind the scenes” scene, if you will. We’ve been what seems like everywhere this summer. We’ve been up at 6AM, in the van for 12 hours, and then cranked out 2-3 hours shows. We’ve slept in crappy hotels, and some nice ones too. We lost our beloved chariot a couple weeks ago to a failing transmission. (fret not, we have a new one.) We’ve blown tires, and missed shows. We’ve had bad shows, and we’ve had great shows. We’ve seen each other’s smiling faces literally everyday since the middle of May when we set out for California. And, now, we’re home.

You get so used to the road schedule after a while. It even seems weird to me that I actually have time to sit here in my living room and write about it. I even slept in my own bed last night, imagine that.

But for all of the daily in and out drudge that sometimes accompanies this particular profession, we are lucky people, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It is simply just to rewarding, when after a seemingly endless day of travel, accompanied by all of our patience running out, and a show we just didn’t quite know how to feel about, someone comes up after a show and tells you it was the best show they’ve seen all year. So, I’d like to thank each and every person that made it to a show, bought a CD, or just took the time to come say hello, from the bottom of my heart. We simply can’t do it by ourselves, so thanks. A lot. Really.

So really, with the exception of 2 very, very short lived and busy trips home, we’ve been on the road since the middle of May. 8 weeks. Pictures will be going up very soon on our MySpace page, and our Fickr page, which you can link to from our website.

We got to meet and play with some amazing bands and musicians along the way so far. There are so many people out there trying to do the same thing we are, and who are, in my humble opinion, far more deserving, so if you get the chance to see someone you’ve heard about, or read about, please go see them. Buy their CD if you like it, put some money in their tip jar, because it ain’t easy folks.

Sorry to preach, just now that I’m home, I actually got a little nostalgic about this summer. We’ve played 40+ shows since we set out, not including radio, and I can remember the good and the bad about all of them. So all I ask here is that those of you who read this and would like to share anything about a set you caught, or our van running you off the road in Nebraska, please do. (If you’re reading this on our website – pop over to the MySpace page or the Blog page). I could write a novel about this summer’s events if I started from the beginning of this tour, so instead of doing that, I want to open it up to you. I’ll do my best to respond to questions or good stories.

So that’s going to be it for now. We have 3 weeks off here in Austin before we set out to do it again. Back to Colorado for the Four Corners Festival. We did the sister festival back in June called Pagosa Folk and Bluegrass. Absolutely beautiful place, equipped with the nicest people on earth, and the best back stage food we’ve found to date.

We have a rehearsal today too! And surely many, many more to follow, so expect lots of new stuff coming at you on this next leg.

Thanks to everyone, wishing you all the best…

Rob

2 comments:

Phoebes said...

"I wanna say somthin too :)"...

Reasons for Sanity

America sure does have a lot of highways. I am sitting here at my house trying to practice, write new songs or do ANYTHING productive with my time and instead I just woke up from a big ol’ nap. Still fresh off the road, I am beginning to understand how this life can change a person. I thought I was beginning to understand it a few years ago, but no… I am really still at the beginning.

So as you can see from Rob’s note, we are home, alive, and all still in the same band! The last eight weeks is a blur and though I can’t tell you everything we did I can say we ate way to much fast food, we drank way to much alcohol, we played tunes—not to many though. We drove, drove, drove, and still six people all together in one single van for about 8 weeks haven’t killed each other. In fact, last I heard we still all call each other friends. I was thinking of this phenomenon today, and realized that there are a few reasons for this magical happenstance.

First off, we have been blessed with homes throughout the country. Home in California, Home in Colorado, Home in Atlanta GA, Home in Lexington KY, Home in Spartanburg SC, Home in New York, Home in Texas. Home has been a constant thread throughout this summer adventure and to that we owe our sanity. We have been blessed by so many wonderful homes to crash in, to make a mess in, to relax in and all I can say is “Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!” To all who have made us feel home in your home, Thank You.

Secondly, a debt of gratitude and a piece of our sanity is owed to all the fantastic people that help us on the back end, “behind the scenes” as Rob said earlier. Without fantastic booking agents (KT and Nancy), Heidi and Jill “working the gigs” for promo, Al hookin it up with all the radio shows, Radio dj’s that believe in us, Venues that put up with bands rolling off the road into their club, Beautiful Festivals in places we would never see unless we play-- we would never play. And of course, we would never have even started this summer adventure or really would have never started playing together at all without all of you lovely people that come out to shows, sing along to the songs and dance dance dance, and tell us that what we do matters to you. Once again all I can say is “Thank You!”.

Now I really don’t want to bore you with my banter too long, but this just isn’t complete. I must say that there is one reason for our sanity that is so easily gets shoved under the rug. I think that we are still doing this because we all see that we just plain aren’t done yet. There are more songs to sing, more words to write, and more music is to be made by this crazy group of six very different people. Everywhere we go, people ask us “How did ya’ll meet?” or maybe they say “How did you guys meet?” depending on where we are. Then they guess perhaps all the boys came down to Austin and we all just met and started playing, or all met in college or something really simple like that. But then…we have to respond, and our crazy story is just too darn complicated to say in one blurb—we’ve all tried (ask Rob about Woodsongs). Truth is it is still a mystery to me that this band is a band at all considering our hometowns are spread all over the country. But I know one thing. We are very lucky to get to play together and I hope we have a few more summers like this one to look forward to. So to Rob, Jeff, Marshall, Connor, and Jon I’d like to say: “Thanks for not killing each other and for putting up with me. I really like makin’ music with you guys.”

Phoebes

Anonymous said...

it's nice to see how much you appreciate the people around you that help make all this happen.